Thursday, September 18, 2008

French Encounters

I had a fun French customer today who made me smile. We were having a bit of a language barrier and so I said "Je m'appelle Michele..." to him as he asked my name again saying it in French.

He said "Oh your a Michelle..." and in that same wonderful French accent he hummed/sang a bit of my favorite Beatles song "Michelle, ma belle." The song goes "Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble, Très bien ensemble" which has always made me smile.

He was difficult to comunicate with but it made it easier to have the French connection when I said a few words here and there in French to him. In the end I booked him a trip to Vegas within his current trip and all was "très magnifique".

As an Expedia agent I get calls from all over the world but I really appreciate those ones that bring a little light and song into my day.
An Expedia agent from the Phillipines called later on in the day and was humming as I was looking up information for him. When I asked Ben what he was humming he said "Paul Simon's Boxer." I didn't know the song so I googled it and it made me want to hear it sometime.

I talked to strangers from all over the planet today. From the USA, Philippines, El Salvador, China, Mexico, Italy, Canada to France and back again. We are worlds apart in space but still have the same people that can laugh at our differences. Strangers can be pretty funny sometimes.

Another French encounter that I had recently shocked me a bit just a couple of Saturday nights ago when greeting at service.

An older gentlemen who I didn't know came to the doors quickly walking towards me. I offered my hand for him to shake but he promptly pushed it away hugging me and kissing me on my cheeks. I was a bit shocked tell I heard his accent in his quick greeting.

My fellow greeter and I just laughed and knew he must be French as we watched him walk inside. We both must have looked a bit shell shocked that a stranger would be so intimate with us but we concluded quickly that it's all about culture sometimes. I just have to keep remembering to see strangers like Jesus would... being His hands and feet.

Fruit: JOY
Song on my lips: Give me your eyes - Brandon Heath
Verses: Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it

No comments: