Sunday, March 15, 2009

Do you have a Ruff?

When I was a little girl the light of my life was my grandmother. She was a precious woman who loved me unconditionally and gave her heart to me. She was an open door with a huge hug waiting for me inside. I could melt into those arms that would unfold for me to fall into when I scarped my knee or just needed some encouragement.

When my grandmother got cancer when I was 11 and passed away it tore me away from the joy I knew in her hugs. She left behind for me though a bit of her comfort. It was in one of the gifts my grandmother gave to me before she died. It was a piece of her to keep and hold in those times when I just needed a hug and someone to cry with. It was this huge stuffed dog that I so creatively name Ruff.

I couldn’t ever part with Ruff during all the challenges in my life. It’s silly really to think of a grown woman with a stuffed dog she sometimes lets herself cry with. I don’t care though because I know the love behind the stuffed animal is really what is comforting me in those times I need that bit of relief.

Life is messy and full of stresses and everyday little troubles that can leave you feeling like you need a good cry every once and awhile. The key is to let yourself recognize you need to stop and let it happen. Take out that Ruff and cry for a bit and move on.

Another thing my grandma taught me was that there was a God I could pray to and find the peace I needed to move past those good cry times. Ruff is the doll that I hug but he only symbolizes the comfort and peace I seek. Gods love takes me to that place of perfect peace after I lose my worries and let God take them. He can take yours too if you would just let Him.

Fruit: Peace
Song in my head: Jesus loves me
Verse: Psalm 71: 20 Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. 21 You will increase my honor and comfort me once again. 22 I will praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, O my God; I will sing praise to you with the lyre, O Holy One of Israel.

No comments: