Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Growing from the crack

One day while walking along a downtown street in a bad part of East Los Angeles California several years ago sad from my worries I saw a sight that made me smile and wonder in awe of it. I saw a beautiful perfect purple flower growing in the smallest of cracks in the asphalt in the middle of this ugly street.

It was a perfect picture to me of how amazing God is. It wasn't by chance that this beautiful flowers seed blew on the breeze for so long far away from any others to land in that crack. How amazing that there was just enough soil and just enough water so it could grow in this wasteland.

Somehow in the midst of its surrounding God made it grow. Somehow cars missed driving over it and somehow it survived beyond it's circumstances.

Sometimes I feel like I am that flower. Sometimes I feel like I am surrounded by bad news on the news and negitive people looking sourly at the outlook for life as we know it to the point of losing hope. It's like if you have a piece of good news you don't feel like you can share it when the outlook is so dim for the world and the people in it.

Who wants to hear of your little joys when their sorrows are so big for the world? You can have a inner party for the little blessing you have going on in your life but at some point you want to share it. You want others to see there is a hope in you and something that makes you see that sun and grow in the midst of that crack in the ground. See the sun today and grow even if your stuck with just a little soil trying to sprout in that crack in the ground.

Fruit:Peace
Verse: I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me
Song in my head: As the Deer

1 comment:

Ron Tanikawa said...

Reminds me of the song "Trading my Sorrows".

I'm trading my sorrows for the joy of the Lord.

"The joy of the Lord is my strength." Nehemiah 8:10