Saturday, October 18, 2008

It's Coffee House Life


It's really amazing who you can meet when you go to a coffee house. There are so many types of coffee houses everywhere. There are so many different types of coffee drinkers. There is the perverbial Starbucks conasour who prefers the stylish savvy cookie cutter logo coffee on the go.

There is that person who is just looking for the free wi-fi sign in the window so they can pop off an email on their way someplace along with an ordinary cup of joe. There is also that coffee snob generation who insists on it being the finest of rare unique roasts in order for it to pass by their lips.

But my favorite are those that choose that hole in the wall funky little place that doesn't quite have the trend down but has that off-beat style of their own. They cater to those who really can't afford the fufu coffee we all pay to much for and most of the time arn't able to stay in business for long.

I miss my favorite place that used to be in downtown Olympia Washington called Artisians. It was a funny little place with exquiste coffee and balcony upstairs and free wi-fi to boot. It lasted for awhile but was never quite as busy as it needed to be. I remember some of the unique happenings I would run into when visiting there.

It had local bands come an play on occasion. On one occasion I remember walking in and finding it packed with deaf people signing. Several times I felt like I could visit there and it was a culture in that room where I was a bit like a foreigner visiting another country. I liked that feeling of being a bit out of my element.

For me it was the perfect fit of a unique coffee shop with free wi-fi and excellent coffee. The only exception for me was that the music they played was so off-beat that sometimes I had to reconcile my own preference to learn a bit about that unique culture.

Today my two favorite places are Batdrof & Bronson along with Cutters Point. They both have free wi-fi and most of the time excellent coffee. It's all good there except they both miss the music and unique flavor of the hole in the wall. Ahh life is such.

Fruit: Patience
Song in my Head: Dancing Queen - Abba
Verses: Pondering ... a few

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. That's got to be really hard. Yeah, sometimes we need to be numb from that kind of pain. God's going to bring good out of this situation, but I know you just wish you could have your dad back.