Monday, February 23, 2009

On top of the clouds

Looking up at the grey clouds above me on my drive home from work today I couldn’t help but wonder. It felt like the day had brought these dark clouds in that went on forever. The sky so dark had made the day dreary and long. It felt like I was stuck under this big sky of dark clouds that went on forever without a break.

Driving down the road on my way from Tacoma to Olympia Washington I started to see a little part in between the darkness. It started as a little beam of light peeking through so I could see a sweet little taste of the sun on the other side of those dark clouds hiding the light. It slowly opened just a bit wider and yet a bit more to reveal a glimpse of the glory of a beautiful blue sky with light all around.


I could tell that the sun was always shining on the other side of those clouds. But when my eyes could only see those dark clouds on a glance I had stopped looking up believing I wouldn’t see the light all day. Seeing that opening up in the sky made me think of how I would love to fly up there and dance around on top of the clouds for a bit. It would be great to be free to fly up there and feel the sun on my face. Maybe then I could feel the Son.

Have you ever felt like you were on the wrong side of the clouds on a dreary day? Have you ever felt like you were stuck there? I felt like this today. Then as I saw the sun peeking through and theblue sky it made me remember that the sun is always shining on the other side.

God’s love is like the Sun. It’s always there shining bright on the other side that I can’t always see from where I am at. I just have to look past those dark clouds all around and realize it is always there for me. I just have to keep doing that next right thing to see it.

If I do that and open my eyes and yet close them at the same time I can see His love is here and now always there for me shining His light so I can dance free in it. So even when I can’t see it I can believe it is there. CS lewis wrote “I believe in Christianity just as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I can see it but because by it I see everything else”.

Fruit: Peace
Song in my head: Everlasting God – Lincoln Brewster
Verse: Proverbs 18:15 The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only do we need to see the light and love of God beyond the clouds, but we also need to be the light of the world.

Matthew 5:13-15 says "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house."

As Christians, we might be the only light someone sees in a world of darkness. But sometimes it's difficult to be a light when the darkness is so dark. But light has the amazing property of illuminating darkness. Even the tiniest bit of light in a dark cave can help the wanderer find his way.