Saturday, August 22, 2009

5 Minute Sermon.. Anyone anyone?

I smiled as I looked into the eyes of this sweet little gentleman. I used the thongs to scoop some salad onto his plate and he said "thank you". He looked at me like he had some hope in those eyes behind the clothes he wore. He smelled like he had a shower recently unlike several of the others I served in the line.

The line was long and the people seemed to come endlessly. They must have some source to hear about these meals served on Saturdays. I wondered how they knew where to go. Then I realized that word of mouth about a free meal must travel quick among the homeless community.
When I volunteered to serve the homeless Ministry I didn't know I was in for a lesson. I had served soup kitchens before and in a homeless shelter before but no one had ever asked "Will someone give a testimony?".
I was standing in the line up with my thongs in hand ready to serve that salad with gusto when she asked the question "will someone come up and share a bit?". I stood there looking at my salad feeling my heart beat a little faster. I knew I needed to just go for it but
I stumbled looking at the faces of my friends who were doing the same thing I was.

I decided to go for it so I said "I will". With no preparation and just a knowledge that I wanted to encourage these people I walked towards the woman who lead this little ministry. By this time there were about 100 or so homeless people gathered around these tables that have seen better days.

She said hello and introduced me and handed me the microphone. I have no idea where it came from.. but it must have been from some deep place inside that only Jesus can touch.

It's there that I felt the confidence to smile and share a little encouragement. Granted it was a simple one cluttered with micophone screeches here and there but it was good. It was simply my story that they were loved by God and had a hope in Him.

Looking into the eyes of these people as I served them I had to try to see them how God sees them. They were not just homeless people but real people whose live with their story untold.

He can see each heart broken, each dream failed, and He knows each story of how they got to be in this place on this day praying there would be enough of a meal to go around for them. Somehow there was enough food and everyone ate and we had some leftover to donate to the Salvation Army. God always seems to provide.

It felt like the very small gift I could give of serving was not enough as I drove away in my air conditioned little car. It gave me a little perspective to see that it could be worse. It seems like everytime I am about ready to complain to God about what I don't have He opens my eyes to see how very much He has given to me.
Fruit:Peace
Song in my head: No other name
Verse: Romans 8:38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments: