Friday, August 7, 2009

Ways to Save a little Money

In these tough economic times it seems to have become more acceptable to be a thrifty consumer. Ten years ago or so if you were using coupons and pinching pennys the preception in some circles made you out to be cheap. Being frugal was almost a character flaw instead of an asset.

Now it seems everybody is looking for a coupon. I found myself looking for ways to save money and have found some interesting ways looking at ideas from friends and thinking up some on my own.

Having landed a job after being out of one for a month or so I looked at not spending more while being unemployed but have decided to keep my saving ways for if I don't have work. I think the key is not to believe you have it all together in this uncertain economy by spending without a purpose.

Its so easy to spend money on comfort. If your on your way to work and feeling sleepy you might want to grab a 4 dollar latte. If your feeling hot on a 100 degree day you might want to buy yourself a icy treat. If you see a 1-11 and you forgot your sunglasses and your just sure that glare might cause you to have an accident.

The problem is when budgets are tight it's the sacrifice of these little extras that add up to blowing that budget you so carefully planned down to the penny. The trick is to have alternatives to catch yourself from making those unplanned purchases out of convience or not planning ahead.

Some things I do to save money on those little unplanned purchases

Have a snack and drink box in the trunk of your car so you don't have to visit fast food when your hungry or thristy in a pinch. You can usually find ice at a gas station for free. You just need to have refillable water bottle that you can put ice and a drink in. One key to this is to make sure that the snacks are not parishable just in case you have hot car all day. In other words... nothing that melts.

Have a tote bag with some essentials in your car. You could have some things like.. asprin, bandaids, a change of clothes, shoes, sandles, sunscreen, extra pair of sunglasses, feminine hygene, Brush, nail files, and anything else you could be tempted to buy in a pinch.

Find coupons and use them. Don't just throw away that junk mail you get but actually look at the coupons. You might find something great to save you some money or give you a creative idea for a time with friends or family out.
Get a 14 dollar haircut and better yet use a coupon for it. I have to warn you though that you might have to go to a few shops that offer these to find a good stylist who will not give you a weed wacker hairdo. Once you find one though it can save you a lot of money if your female.

Make a budget for your food while your away from home and stick to it. Try to think ahead to what you will be doing for the day and plan where you will eat so you can use your money wisely. Think where will I be at lunch and can I bring it?

Buy your gas at Costco where it's a lot less expensive. Also Costco offers great food at great prices too.

It's all about thinking instead of just spending it because it's right in front of us. It seems to be those little expenses of eating out and unplanned purchases that used to get me at the end of the month. I found out that knowing where my money is going is freeing and gives you a sense of purpose and power back when you care are enough to care about the small change.
Fruit: Peace
Song in my head: Plan for me - Brandon Heath
Verse: Jer 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, Plans to give you a future and a hope

No comments: