Friday, August 15, 2008

"Total Money Makeover" Camel VS Needle

I just finished a 6 week study on Dave Ramseys book "Total Money Makeover" with my small group this week. We dug into it and I really got a new way to think about some of the aspects of how I manage my money. It had some great insights into a plan to get out of debt. It was simple and really a motivational book.

I already had some of the plan to do the "snowball" in the book and had my emergency fund saved even before reading. I was glad to know I was already doing some of the things he suggested and it gave me encouragment to continue. I liked his ideas and encouragment and how it provided stories of people who became debt free.

I really liked how he shared about giving in the book but there was something missing throughout that I wasn't quite sure of until chatting with my small group. I didn't see the emphasis on relying on God to determine the path of your money first quite enough.

We had a good discussion in my small group about this and about a quote from him that we questioned when balancing it with what scripture said. This is a great book overall and I would encourage reading it. However you have to look outside it to see "the God factor" in the equasion of His kingdom first.

You just can't leave out "the God factor" first when deciding out your budget. You have to leave room for God to tell you to do something unexpected with your money that may be out of your budget but in His plan with it. Even if this means while working on getting out of debt you have to give something God tells you to do with that "emergency fund".
Our security must come from the only true place it can come from. After all we have to remember what Jesus told us about worry and where our security should lie.
Matthew 6: 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?... and 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
In the book Dave also talks about building large wealth being healthy for a Christian to desire. When I first read this I got a "spirit check" in my gut. It didn't feel right. Maybe it was the way he said it. Even though he did also note that wealth would free you up so your free to give it still didn't seem to line up for me. This is great to be desiring to give but you have to be careful there and so I went to scripture.

In building wealth you can't get away from seeing scripture like
Matthew 29: 23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Dave really doesn't address this in his book. How are we supposed to get through that eye of the needle if we are successfull in building the huge kind of wealth that his book discusses. It discusses in the book giving but if we are still rich where will our heart be if we are so concerned about keeping our half a Million dollar nest egg for retirement and building more?

I am not sure we really came to a conclusion that it was possible in our small group. Still pondering that one. Camel Vs Needle... hummm ... I did find a photo of a camel in a suitcase but no needle.. where is that big needle when you need one?
Fruit: Patience
Song in my head: Give me your eyes - Brandon Heath
Verse: Matthew 11:29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

No comments: