Friday, May 9, 2008

Pretty in Pink

Opening my eyes to the world today at 2:30am as I usually do on my work days I found myself wide awake. Praying... I started thinking I want to be intentional about what I wear today. I am celebrating my mother and also in a way my grandmother at a tea at COLW tonight after work. Slipping on my bright pink dress that my mother loves to see me in I thought about a line from one of our favorite movies we watch together. I smiled, laughted out loud and said in my best Julia Roberts impression "Pink is my signature color".

Steel Magnolias is one of those strong women, laughter through tears kind of movies that we both love. I have always wanted to be a combination of a strong, courageous, whimsical "Shelby" in "Steel Magnolias" and a smart, creative individualist "Andie" in "Pretty in Pink". These are two of my favorite 80's movies.
My best friend and I wrote a song many, many, moons ago when we were in college called "Rose of Sharon" about being strong women of God. The chorus is "I am a Rose of Sharon, a lilly of the valley, a strong woman among the thorns" It's always been my hearts cry song since. It's from Song of Solomen about walking in the garden with God.

After my dress I put on a gold necklace my grandparents gave me when I was a little girl to remind me how special she made me feel. It's a gold oval with an M on it for Michele. It has a small diamond on it which is my birthstone.

Pulling on my nylons I thought "there is something about wearing a dress that makes you feel like a woman". It makes me love to be a girl so I can twirl. I fell one time twirling in my grandmothers garden caught up in the fun it. The Delicate smell of roses always reminds me of her. Glimpses of Gods love I saw in her as a girl drew me to Him later on when I was a teenager. She went to heaven when I was 11 from cancer.

Finding my black "active woman" low heel shoes that I love I thought of my covering. Smelling it first as I love to do. I grabbed my mothers black sweater I borrowed. The sweet smell of her perfume is a gentle reminder of comfort. It's a reminder of all the hugs she has given me. Hugs given in passing, hugs through tears, hugs through laughter, hugs for no reason at all. I treasure my mothers hugs.

Sprinting to my car in my "active woman shoes" 10 minutes later than usual I put on my Esther earings as I walk. They one of my favorites and look Egyptian reminding me of Esther my favorite woman in the Bible.

Then I was off with a prayer for my 45 minutes of praise along the way to work. I am always more thankful as I sing "dance, dance, dance, to the freedom I know that will last forever."

Fruit of the day: Patience
Song in my head: For I am convinced
Awesome Verse: 2 Corinthians 6:4-10 4 Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; 5 in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; 6 in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; 7 in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; 8 through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; 9 known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; 10 sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything.

No comments: