Monday, June 2, 2008

Pesky critters & Cuties

There are some days when I love my job. I had fun today at work and learned something today. Isn't it good to just learn something new and interesting. It was interesting to me at least.

I love my international customers with interesting accents. My customer today had a very talkative bird in the background and I asked her about it. Since we tend to live on hold with support desks for airline issues I use the time to chat sometimes. With her distinctively british accent she told me of how she used to live in Botswana South Africa with her husband. He was an engineer on a project there for a few years. She told me about her bird in the background that she named Pula. She got Pula while she was there.

Apparently it's a very pricey bird here in the USA but one that is considered a nuisance there in Botswana. Her bird is a Myna Common Indian who she said talks very well. She said her husband sometimes couldn't tell the difference in her voice from the birds calling him. They apparently can change the tone in their voices. I googled and found a cool website on them.Click here to see it. There are so many species of birds. I am not a typical birdwatcher but I love to see nature before me.

I had a Cockatiel when I was younger. It was a bit of a stinker though and bit my friends lip open. She was trying to teach it how to speak and had it close to her mouth. Suddenly Frankie chomped down on my friends bottom lip and held on for dear life. My friend shook her head but Frankie just kept holding on. He was nicknamed "chomper" after that. The Myna seems like its a pesky stinker of a bird after reading about it with its mimic of humans and scavenging for food but it sounded fun hearing it live today.

Here is a fun video of a Myna:
">


Fruit: Gentleness
Song in my head: Lovesong for a Savior - Jars of Clay
Verse: 1Peter 3:15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

No comments: