Monday, June 30, 2008

Mountains and Moons

The moon was so beautiful this morning as I was driving to work @4am. It was just a sliver but you could see the outline of the rest of it as the sun started to come rise as I drove to work. It was a beautiful picture to me of how God reveals just a bit of our future at a time. We can't always see the whole thing but just see that sliver of something beautiful being lit up by the Son.

As I dunked my pink hat in the cool water's stream on Saturday and put it on my head the water ran down my back and I smiled. It reminded me of summers when I was a little girl scout hiking. I went on the longest and most challenging hike I have ever been on to Duckabush Trail Saturday. It was a grade 3+ 9 to 10 mile hike. There was the little hump and the Big hump to go the full length of the trail.

As we started off on little hump I listened to the trail talk. One of my favorite joys of hiking is the fellowship of fellow hikers. For some reason it seems that being out in the middle of the forest makes people feel free to say anything at times. The conversation flows from the botanical to personal gut wrenching truths of the goings on in the lives of the hikers. The awesome thing is that the conversation doesn't stop with just those you came to hike with.

Maybe it's just me who can talk to anyone but people seem friendlier out in the forest meeting them on the trail. Maybe it's our dependence on each other if something goes wrong. Maybe its feeling so small looking up at those trees with the sun shining through. I guess the one thing that binds us beyond everything else is a love for nature and being there.

I listened along the way to Eric who knows so much about the trees and the growth of the forest we were in. He told us all about how old this forest was by looking at the trees and how it was replanted after being logged about 25 or so years ago. Later on my way up little hump I saw some white flowers that I am not sure what were called. One of the fellow hikers on the trail who wasn't with our group and I chatted about them. We both took a picture hoping to identify it later.

Little hump wasn't quite as little as I thought it would be. It was a long rocky somewhat straight curve up and down the hump. There were a couple of stream crossings that had little waterfalls that were beautiful.
When going down little hump one of the gals who was with me said "if this is little hump I am never making it up big hump". I have to admit I was thinking something similar but when we reached the river and I felt waters cool mist I was inspired. I decided I could make it up the big hump. What I didn't know then was the huge challenge ahead for me. It was a 1000 feet of elevation to climb up the wall face of the mountain with narrow switch backs and gravel under foot in some areas.
The steep climb was a bit of a challenge even for some of those seasoned hikers in my group. I didn't give up even though about halfway up I was looked down and had a bit of fear about that climb back down. The narrow parts just made me all the more aware of how I needed to be careful of my footing. It was a huge workout for my legs and my thigh and calf muscles were throbbing and feeling quite stretched by the top. It was all good.

As promised there was a sweet lookout at the almost top. It was worth conquring big hump to see it. Dennis or fearless hike leader was there taking photos and shared some of his trail stories up there. After big hump I went back down to the valley between the big and little and put my feet in the river. It was cool and quite refreshing to put your feet in on a 90ish degree day. I got my hat wet again and was loving it.

I decided to head out a bit ahead of the group on the way back from the midway point we were resting at by the river. Madison who was the only child on our hike decided she wanted to go with me. At 8 years old she was a trooper and had no trouble keeping up and heading us out. She was a fun little trail buddy as she hiked with me. She talks endlessly and is such a joy. When she got tired she didn't look for a log or rock to sit on. She just sat down right there in the middle of the path and said "I'm tired". I laughted and sat down with her. Earlier we had been hanging out by the river and she bravely got her feet in too. She also climbed up on a big rock nest to the river and pointed up. I got a photo of her up there.

It was a great trip and I am so amazed at how beautiful and big God feels everytime I encounter Him in nature. Seeing the moon this morning was just another picture on a piece of the puzzle of the mystery God can be at times. I couldn't see the whole moon this morning just like I can't see all of God's plan sometimes but I can trust that He is all there and loves me.

Fruit: Gentleness & Patience
Song in my head: If you didn't love me - Phil Stacey
Verse: 1 John 3:1How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

No comments: