Sunday, July 6, 2008

Reaching

There's a time I can recall,
Four years old and three feet tall,
Trying to touch the stars and the cookie jars,
And both were out of reach,
And later on in my high school,
It seemed to me a little cruel,
How the right words to say always seemed to stay,
Just out of reach,
Well I should not have thought it strange,
That growing causes growing pains'
Cause the more we learn the more we know,
We don't know anything,
But still it seems a tragic fate,
Living with this quiet ache,
The constant strain for what remains,
Just out of reach,
We are reaching for the future,
We are reaching for the past,
And no matter what we have we reach for more,
We are desperate to discover,
What is just beyond our grasp,
But maybe that's what heaven is for,
There are times I can't forget,
Dressed up in my Sunday best,
Trying not to squirm and to maybe learn,
A bit of what the preacher preached,
And later lying in the dark,
I felt a stirring in my heart,
And though I longed to see what could not be seen,
I still believed,
I guess I shouldn't think it odd,
Until we see the face of God,
The yearning deep within us tells us,
There's more to come,
So when we taste of the divine,
It leaves us hungry every time,
For one more taste of what awaits,
When heaven's gates are reached,
I believe that's what heaven is for.
There's a time I can recall,
Four years old and three feet tall.
Trying to touch the stars and the cookie jars,
And both were out of reach

Fruit: Patience & Peace
Song in my head: Reaching - Carolyn Arrends
Verse: Psalm 57: 8 Awake, my soul! Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn. 9 I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. 10 For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. 11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth

No comments: